Questions about Japanese localization of SharpCapUserManual

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions about Japanese localization of SharpCapUserManual

Post by admin »

Hi,

the definition of bit depth is fine.

The one on SNR misses the important fact that SNR is a ratio - ie it is the size of the signal divided by the size of the noise. So, if you are using an 8 bit mode on your camera, an area might be quite bright and have an average pixel value of 200, with some noise that is about 5 pixel levels (standard deviation). That area has an SNR of 40 (= 200 / 5). A darker area of the image may have an average pixel value of 20 and a noise level of 2 pixel levels. In spite of the lower noise (2 rather than 5), the SNR is smaller at 10 (=20 / 2)

Hope this helps,

Robin
Toshihito Watanabe

Post by Toshihito Watanabe »

Toshihito Watanabe wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:07 am Hi,

Thanks, If so, how about the following for "bit depth" (ビット深度)?

The number of bits required to store the luminance level of an image, which in the case of RGB images is the sum of the quantization bits of each RGBA channel.
In image processing, the number of bits used to represent the size of a signal is called the number of quantization bits. The higher the number of bits, the more subtle differences in size can be represented (less quantization error), but the larger the amount of data. In data compression, reducing the number of quantization bits reduces the amount of data, but increases the quantization error.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

In the future, we plan to add a "Back to top of this page" link at the bottom of the page.

For example, you can place an
OIP.jpgicon at the bottom of 'The Tool Bar' page as shown below, and click here to return to the top of this page.

http://docs.sakuraweb.com/download/9_TheToolBar.htm

Link at top page.png

Always from the user's perspective...

Watanabe

Hi,

One more twist!
The 'Return to Top of Page' icon has been placed so that you can see the position of each button on the toolbar.

http://docs.sakuraweb.com/docs/9_TheToolBar.htm

Top of Page.png
Top of Page.png (115.03 KiB) Viewed 1449 times

Watanabe
Last edited by Toshihito Watanabe on Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toshihito Watanabe

Hi,

Thanks, I've summarized the definition of 'SNR' as follows, what do you think?

It refers to the ratio of the signal S to the noise N in a measurement (S / N), The darker areas of an image have less noise than the brighter areas, yet the signal-to-noise ratio is smaller.

##################################################################################################################################

Camera Controls > Mini Histogram and Display Stretch > Display Histogram Stretch Buttons section
The "Save as seen" button is not in the Histogram Stretch control, but in the Live Stack panel > Action Group > bottom of the Save button, right?

Save Exactly as Seen.png
Save Exactly as Seen.png (32.75 KiB) Viewed 1440 times

Save action.png
Save action.png (368.92 KiB) Viewed 1440 times

If so, I think setting a link to Live Stacking > Left Panel > Actions Group section would be appropriate.

Actions Group.png
Actions Group.png (78.25 KiB) Viewed 1440 times

Watanabe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the save as seen button is in both places, and both do the same thing.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.77 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
I think that you have mistaken my example about darker areas of the image for a generally true statement - I would drop the second sentence of your S/N explanation.

Robin
Toshihito Watanabe

Hi,

I still care ...
Which of the following sentences is appropriate?

It means the ratio of signal S to noise N (S ÷ N) in the measurement, and the darker the celestial body in the image, the smaller the S / N ratio.
(測定における信号SとノイズNの比率 (S÷N)を意味し、画像内の暗い天体ほどS/N比は小さくなります。)

or

It means the ratio of signal S to noise N (S ÷ N) in the measurement, It is a basic index of Capture accuracy.
(測定における信号SとノイズNの比率 (S÷N)を意味し、撮影精度の基本的な指標となります。)

About the save button:
If you can save the image as a PNG file by pressing the "Save" button, isn't it okay to delete the following text part as it is unnecessary?

(except those saved using the ‘Save Exactly as Seen’ button in the display histogram stretch control)

################################################################################################################################

Something I realized later.

The Tool Bar > Calculate Focus Score section
'Calculate Focus Score' icon needs to be modified to 'Focus Assistance Tools' icon.

Assistance icon.png
Assistance icon.png (76.87 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

Watanabe
Toshihito Watanabe

Hi,

Please Reply to yesterday's post.

Watanabe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm sorry that from now on I will be unable to continue responding to posts on this subject.

While I appreciate the effort that is going into translating the documentation, along with the effective proofreading of the english documentation that you are doing, the sheer number of questions is impacting my ability to respond to other users and to work on SharpCap to improve quality and add new features. Additionally, questions are beginning to drift into areas not directly related to SharpCap - for instance proper definitions and explanations of Signal-to-Noise ratio can be widely found online.

As I have mentioned previously, a more productive way for this to work would be for you to compile and send an errors list (publishers would use the term 'erratum') containing a list of inconsistencies, errors, etc once the translation is complete.

Thanks once again for the effort invested so far.

Robin
Toshihito Watanabe

Hi,

In the SharpCap Sequence Editor section of UM, does the word "Step" that appears frequently mean "procedure"(手順、手続き)?

Watanabe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's in the sense of a stage in a set of instructions. For instance in a cooking recipe you might see

step 1. Chop the onions finely
step 2. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan
step 3. Fry the onions in the oil until softened

Each step is a simple task and when you combine them together in sequence you can describe a more complex process.

cheers,

Robin
Toshihito Watanabe

Hi Robin

We have completed all UM translations (minor corrections still need to be made) and will send you the following two files. Please consider them.

1) A list table of UM errors, inconsistencies, etc. (Excludes items posted in previous forums)

http://docs.sakuraweb.com/downloads/UM_ErrorList.docx

2) Terms to be added (planned) to the "Glossary" section of the UM.

http://docs.sakuraweb.com/downloads/UM_Glossary.docx

Watanabe