Question about the Smart Histogram (The Brain)

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about the Smart Histogram (The Brain)

Post by admin »

Hi,

With regard to the question about the gain, SharpCap tends to use a high gain when doing the sky background measurements to keep the exposure times as short as possible and therefore finish the procedure quickly. Fortunately the sensor analysis procedure allows SharpCap to calculate the actual e/ADU values for various different camera gain settings, so it's possible to work backwards from the ADU readings to the number of electrons at any specific gain value.

There isn't an alternative or expanded graph available inside SharpCap to show more detail or more range on the detection threshold plot, but all of the calculations that the smart histogram brain uses are documented in this forum thread - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=456 - so if you wanted you could put together something like an Excel spreadsheet and create your own graphs from it.

Cheers, Robin
tmyers

Post by tmyers »

I have an ASI 1600 MC Cool, I was assuming he data for this camera was already in Sharp Cap, but it must not be because Histogram Brain does not show up on my screen.

Is this a file I need to download and place within SC or do I need to perform my own sensor analysis, in order for the brain to appear?
Tim

EXOS-2GT
SkyWatcher 100ED PRO
ASI 1600MC Cool
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

I think you'll need to create the sensor analysis yourself. Only 1600 mono 8 and 16 bit is included in the sensor library.

-Chris
tmyers

Post by tmyers »

Thanks
Tim

EXOS-2GT
SkyWatcher 100ED PRO
ASI 1600MC Cool
Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 »

The sensor library includes my SV-305. If I run a sensor analysis myself, which data does SmartBrain use? Can I force it to use one or the other?
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

I've completed my own sensor analysis for the ZWO 294 and it would use this over the one in the library. Robin will have to chime in but from my experience the one user made overrides. If you want to switch back to the provide analysis you'll have to manually remove the one you create.
-Chris
Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 »

BlackWikkett wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:29 pm If you want to switch back to the provide analysis you'll have to manually remove the one you create.
Thanks, Chris. I've rummaged around and tried to find the sensor analysis I created without success. Any idea where it might be hiding?
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Have a look in

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\SharpCap

Note it is a hidden folder so uncheck Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Dave
Tailspin45

Post by Tailspin45 »

turfpit wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:15 pm C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\SharpCap
<slaps forehead>Well, duh!

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, all the information above is correct – if you've done your own analysis then the results from that will get used in preference to any data that installs with SharpCap. Deleting your own analysis file as Dave suggests will put SharpCap back to using the installed data (I would suggest closing and reopening SharpCap too, just to make sure).

Cheers, Robin