"Blind" Dithering

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
cwic

"Blind" Dithering

Post by cwic »

Hi,

I am thinking about using SharpCap as main astrophoto software, but before will purchase ver. Pro need to make sure it suits my needs.

For now I am doing short expositions with no guiding, but due to patter noise on camera I would like to do blind dithering, is it possible that SharpCap generates random dither command straight to mount controller or to programs like PHD2?

Adam
admin
Site Admin

Re: "Blind" Dithering

Post by admin »

Hi Adam,

Yes, as long as you are using the live stacking feature then you can set up SharpCap to send periodic dither commands to PHD2. You will find this in the guiding tab of the live stacking UI. As people on the forums have noted, you can take advantage of this feature to enable dithering for normal capture by running live stacking but setting the options to view the individual frames and to save the raw unprocessed frames while the stacking occurs.

Hope this helps, Robin
cwic

Post by cwic »

Sounds good, then I understand that without live stacking I am not able to do dithering?

The problem is that live stack will take quite a lot "energy" and having in mind I am working in field it is not the best idea. Need to think through it.
Would be really great if dithering would be available without live stacking.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, it would have an effect on battery life – you could turn off the alignment option in the live stacking which should reduce the effect on battery life quite significantly though.

Doing this without the live stack it should be in the next major version, but no promises yet on when that might be :-)

Cheers, Robin
cwic

Post by cwic »

Would be great, I just started using SharpCap and it really fits me, good job :)