File numbering

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
ColinR

File numbering

Post by ColinR »

Having searched the forum unsuccessfully for an answer, I ask:
Is it possible to turn on consecutive file numbering? For example when the last image file in a folder is say, Capture_0030.fits, the next folder's first image is named Capture_0031.fits, instead of reverting back to Capture_00001.fits? This would facilitate easier file management for multiple runs - for example when stopping imaging every so often to check focus etc.

Thanks in advance for any info on this question.

Colin
turfpit

Re: File numbering

Post by turfpit »

Colin

I handle this using 'Target Name:' in the Toolbar. For example

M33-1-lights
M33-2-lights
etc ...

This way, all the capture sets have different names and can co-exist in the same folder for subsequent processing.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

While there is a lot of flexibility in the file naming, especially if you use the manual filename templates, I'm afraid that you can't achieve what you are aiming for here. The count always starts from one when you started you capture or series of captures.

Cheers, Robin
ColinR

Post by ColinR »

Thanks to Turfpit and Robin for your swift responses. I now fully understand that it is not possible to have continuous file numbering.

Turfpit, I have been doing exactly as you suggest but I keep forgetting to change the prefix! For example, I recently overwrote two imaging sessions loosing 15 of my 45 subs! I had a set with no prefix and two sets with an "A" prefix, because I forgot to change the last set to "B"! Somehow or other I lost one of the A sets in my file management/copy/move/ paste etc as no warning of overwriting was given - I don't know what I did! Hence the question. But it is good to know that I had better sharpen up and not forget!

ColinR
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Colin
I keep forgetting to change the prefix
I did that once :cry: . Now the last thing I do, as part of my routine, before starting a capture is 'check the Target Name'.

Dave
ColinR

Post by ColinR »

Thanks for that Dave. Will try and do likewise!