Where does SharpCap store the flat file?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
astromusic

Where does SharpCap store the flat file?

Post by astromusic »

Hi, I created a flat file yesterday, going through the procedure to collect 10 samples, etc. Everything seemed to go fine. But, I am not clear on where that flat file got stored on my hard disk, so I can retrieve later. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Where does SharpCap store the flat file?

Post by admin »

Hi,

Unlike dark frames which are stored in a library that is divided by camera model, exposure, gain, temperature etc, flat frames are stored in a folder adjacent to the folder that would be used if you are capturing light frames.

The reasoning behind this is that dark frames are much more reusable than flat frames – any adjustment to focus, camera orientation, filters etc requires flat frames to be taken again, so it makes sense to store flat frames near to the light frames taken at the same point in time.

Probably easiest way to find this folder is to capture another flat frame (or just pretend you are in use the menu option to capture a flat even if you don't bother with the flat frame illumination). Once the capture process for the flat frame is complete you will see a green notification bar appear just below the menu which will tell you where the file has been saved. You can even click on the folder name in the notification bar and it will open that folder for you. Once you have found the folder containing today's new flat frame, you won't find it hard to locate yesterday's flat frame.

Hope this helps, Robin
astromusic

Re: Where does SharpCap store the flat file?

Post by astromusic »

Thanks!