use polar align feature with DSLR or on a budget?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
ctron

use polar align feature with DSLR or on a budget?

Post by ctron »

I would like to try aligning my EQ mount using the polar align feature in the program, but I don't know if either camera I have is suitable enough. Although I have an Orion ED80 refractor, my understanding is that the FOV is too small for the purpose, but it does have a 9x60 finder. I think I could remove the diagonal and use the camera there. The big question though is whether either camera I have work work: either a Pentax KX DSLR and/or an unmodified Toucam webcam. The problem with the Pentax is that it does not offer live view, but I can tether images of whatever exposure to be saved on the laptop. Could Sharpcap use these still images for the PA routine? With the Toucam, I doubt it is sensitive enough for the job since the program asks for 15 stars for alignment. If neither of these options would work, what's the cheapest way to get a working system. I am on a very limited budget. Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Re: use polar align feature with DSLR or on a budget?

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm afraid that I don't think either of your cameras will work for polar alignment. As a rough guideline, I find that 2s exposures with maximum gain and a 200mm f/4 finder work nicely. That's much longer than your toucam will allow. The pentax would manage that sort of exposure obviously, but SharpCap doesn't talk to Pentax cameras and I'm afraid they are very unlikely to be supported in the future (I did have a K10D, but sold it about 2-3 years ago and went Canon - the only thing I kept was the 70-210/4 KA zoom which is now used for testing astro cameras indoors when the weather is poor!)

cheers,

Robin
galljj

Re: use polar align feature with DSLR or on a budget?

Post by galljj »

In this hobby, cheap is a relative term! Best deal I know of for you might be too buy only the camera, controller and nosepiece from the revolution imager kit camera. I understand that Mike at OCT sells these for roughly $100 USD, but that you need to call him to get this deal/price. Ive heard it described as a cloudy nights special, but not sure this is true.

You will need a frame grabber. I did not have good experiences with the one he sells, but it may have been a function of my system. Others get them to work.

You will need a way to power the camera (12v, low draw) and cabling to connect the system to you frame grabber. Available at big box hardware stores for $10

And, when combined with your scope, this will be the best "eyepiece" you own. It is a very sensitive camera.

John