Corresponding Gain values between Sharpcap & APT

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
julian489289

Corresponding Gain values between Sharpcap & APT

Post by julian489289 »

Hi,
I use APT for my acquisition software and now I have an Altair Astro Hypercam 294C I want to use Sharpcap's great features such as Polar Alignment and Smart Histogram.

I have used Sharpcap's sensor analysis and before I start imaging, I want to use Sharpcap's Smart Histogram feature to ascertain the best gain, offset and exposure settings for my specific sky conditions that night then transpose these values into APT.

In respect of the gain value that Sharpcap gives, can I use this exact value in APT or is there a conversion that I need to make to use in APT? If so what is that conversion that I need to make?

Thanks guys :D
admin
Site Admin

Re: Corresponding Gain values between Sharpcap & APT

Post by admin »

Hi,

For Altair cameras, the gain value is a percentage of the minimum gain – that is the minimum gain is 100, and a value of 200 means a gain of two times minimum; 400 means four times minimum and so on.

I'm not quite sure what gain values will be used in APT, but I suspect that they will start with 1.0 being the minimum gain rather than 100, 2.0 being again that doubles brightness rather than a 200 et cetera.

Cheers, Robin