SharpCap is slow to open.

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
jamie

Re: SharpCap is slow to open.

Post by jamie »

Hey,

The control-shift thing worked. All prompts popped up before the sharpcap's loading screen. There was next to no delay during these stages (1-6). Once the last stage was okayed, no more appeared, sharpcap's load screen appeared and then the extensive delay was observed as before.

Cheers, Jamie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for that info – it narrows down the potential causes quite a bit. I think I will have to add some extra logging during the early start-up of the application to help narrow things down further. This will be in the next version.

Cheers, Robin
jamie

Post by jamie »

Ok cool, thanks.

I'd be happy to test any dev builds you produce.

Cheers, Jamie
jamie

Post by jamie »

Hi,

Just checking in to see if there had been any movement on this issue?

We are now using Windows 10 and the issue seems to still persist slightly. I clocked ~36s startup duration.

When I tested previously on Windows 10 it opened almost instantly but that machine was open to the net. The above machine is behind the firewall, so it looks like this is still the issue (a lack of internet connection).

Cheers,
Jamie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I put some extra logging information in to the start-up so that I can try and track down what is causing the slowness. Basically the extra logging should break down the part of the code where we think the problem is happening into about four separate blocks and we can work out where the problem is by seeing which block takes the longest and then if necessary dig in further to zoom in on the cause of the problem.

Please can you run the latest build on the problem machine and send me the log.

Cheers, Robin
jamie

Post by jamie »

Thanks Robin,

Whatever you changed fixed the problem. It now opens instantly.

Great job, thank you!

Cheers,
Jamie
jamie

Post by jamie »

BTW we were using version v3.2.6117.0. So whatever fixed the problem was introduced only in the latest release v3.2.61210.0.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for the update – good news and bad news I suppose. The good news is that it works for you now but the bad news is that I can't see anything in the changes between those two versions that would explain the problem going away. The worry with problems that go away on their own is that they might come back on their own at a later date :-(

Anyway, let's hope the problem stays fixed.

Cheers, Robin