Smart Historgram and filters

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
ColinR

Smart Historgram and filters

Post by ColinR »

I feel that this is a bit of a daft question, but here I go anyway.
I am assuming that filters, (CLS, Narrow Band etc) are fitted prior to invoking the Smart Histogram/Brain function and that therefore the effect of any filter is included in the final calculation/graph?

Thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Smart Historgram and filters

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, absolutely right. You need to fit the filter before you measure the sky brightness using the brain as a light pollution filter will definitely reduce the sky brightness and lead to longer sub exposure times being calculated.

There's no need to worry about having a filter or not if you do the sensor analysis procedure – you can do it with filters, without filters, whichever way you choose and it won't make any significant difference to the results.

Cheers, Robin
ColinR

Post by ColinR »

Robin, thanks. Much appreciated.
brandx

Post by brandx »

Follow-up question regarding filters - I have an ASI1600mm pro and use narrowband filters plus RGB. For any imaging session, do I need to check smart histogram for each filter to be used an imaging session? If so, then assuming I'm using SGPro I would need to set up different camera settings (gain and exp) per filter?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, you should check the recommendations for each filter.

With experience you will come to spot patterns in the recommendations for the different filters – perhaps that the R&G filters tend to give similar recommendations and the B filter recommends and exposure that is about twice as long. Once you have spotted how these recommendations turn out for your different filters then you will be able to avoid having to run the brightness measurement for every filter on each target.

Hope this helps, Robin
brandx

Post by brandx »

Thanks for quick reply Robin. I will try that.
I guess same applies for narrowband filters or is it less of an issue? Pardon my ignorance on this...still assimilating
thanks, Les