Flip tool and Dark temperature

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
snubem

Flip tool and Dark temperature

Post by snubem »

Robin/Dave.
I do my Flats and Darks with my non-cooled ZWO183 color camera prior to imaging and apply in the bottom right. Then Save Images as seen.
Can I change the FLIP tool on the right panel from target to target with the same Flats/Darks or does this screw them up?

I'm acquiring my Flats/Darks prior to Lights and applying during imaging. Do you suggest somehow "warming up the camera" (multiple captures?) prior so the temp of my Darks more closely matches the temp of my Lights?
I always use the “Save Images as Seen" and obviously need the Flats and Darks applied.

Thanks,
Greg
turfpit

Re: Flip tool and Dark temperature

Post by turfpit »

Greg

Everything must match. Think about this - a dust bunny in the bottom left of an image, then the flat must have the dust bunny in the corresponding place. Flip the flat and the grunge is in the wrong place. Same goes for darks and hot pixels.

Darks - same settings (and temperature) as lights.

Flats - adjust exposure (leave the other settings) until histogram is about 50%. This is flexible but the histogram must not touch either of the vertical axes. Also do not re-focus or change the optics (eg filter) in any way until you have the flats that match the lights.

Temperature is a tricky one - I have a digital thermometer sat on the pier. Some of the temperature drops for me can be quite large. Darks taken before midnight might not be much use at 3am if the temperature has dropped 5°C. SharpCap is constantly taking frames so I have never been concerned about 'warming up'. What does matter is acclimatising the kit before use - don't take the equipment out of a warm house and try to use it straight away. I try to have my gear ready about 2 hours before using, especially with my Celestron 8" SCT.

Dave
snubem

Re: Flip tool and Dark temperature

Post by snubem »

Dave,
I was hoping the Flip tool was applied after the image was captured.
Thank you for the explanation.

Greg