Plate Solving in Beta

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
cuivenion

Re: Plate Solving in Beta

Post by cuivenion »

Thanks will do.
calan

Post by calan »

Last night I was going through my usual routine of using APT to find an object and goto it, and then monitoring the main camera in SharpCap and the finder in PHD2 to manually center it. I forgot all about the new platesolving in SC and accidentally hit the button, while meaning to hit the south arrow.

So what happened? SC flashed a message, solved the image after about 2 seconds, and the scope slewed almost to where I wanted it. Sweet.

I may have to use this newfangled plate-solving thing on purpose. :D
artem

Post by artem »

This is interesting, need also to try with PLATE SOLVING with SharpCap Beta..
too bad I can't use the POLAR ALIGNMENT in SharpCap routine, since I do not have any direct view to POLARIS..

Cheers

Martin
artem

Post by artem »

Is there any possible way to train PLATE SOLVING with Simulator status ? since I always get errors when I try to solve the TEST CAMERA 1
( DEEPSKY ) and with the TEST PICTuRE loaded..

Thank you

Martin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

To play with the plate solving you need to be aware that it will only search within 15 degrees of the current mount location...

So, find the RA/Dec of the image you are looking at, then use the mount controls (presumably with the mount set up to something like the ASCOM Mount Simulator, or the EQASCOM simulator) to get the RA/Dec within a few degrees of where the image was taken. Then try the plate solving.

I have a cunning plan to add plate solving that doesn't need a view of polaris in the next version - fairly sure it should work, but it's going to have to wait until after 2.10 is out.

cheers,

Robin
artem

Post by artem »

Thank you Robin,

I will try the plate solving as you describe..

And to your future P/A Routine w/o view ro Polaris! trhat would be a great future.. I will for sure wait for that future version..

Cheers

Martin
jhbsky

Post by jhbsky »

Hi,
happy with Sharpcap fucntionality for my Rising Tech G3 cmos imager.
I have always used astrotortilla for plate solving,I had it set for solve till object is within 1 arcmin
how do instruct astrotortilla to do this within the sharpcap software?
happily paid for PRO version.great program.
Cheers Dave :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

If you haven't found it already, there is a write up of how SharpCap plate solving works here : http://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/feat ... te-solving.

Basically SharpCap ignores all the settings that AnSvr, AstroTortilla or ASPS have and just uses their solving engine with a set of parameters that I have tweaked to give generally good results. The action when you press the solve button is solve->sync->re-goto. You would have to press the solve button again if you wanted to validate the new offset from the target.

I'll certainly be considering improvements to plate solving in future versions and will keep this sort of thing in mind.

cheers,

Robin
artem

Post by artem »

admin wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:47 pm To play with the plate solving you need to be aware that it will only search within 15 degrees of the current mount location...

So, find the RA/Dec of the image you are looking at, then use the mount controls (presumably with the mount set up to something like the ASCOM Mount Simulator, or the EQASCOM simulator) to get the RA/Dec within a few degrees of where the image was taken. Then try the plate solving.

I have a cunning plan to add plate solving that doesn't need a view of polaris in the next version - fairly sure it should work, but it's going to have to wait until after 2.10 is out.

cheers,

Robin

Hello Robin,

ONly a question since I am interested to know, how does your plan look like to introduce POLAR ALIGNMENT with no view towards polaris ?

Thank you

Martin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Martin,

I did a manual test of my idea and it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped - the problem is that you can only get a range of about 90 degrees rotation across the SE or SW sky - the meridian flip stops you from rotating freely from E through SE through S to SW then W, which was what I really needed to get the correct data. I will have to leave this for now until I come up with another approach.

sorry,

Robin