QHY168c issue

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
PJMahany

QHY168c issue

Post by PJMahany »

Have a new QHY168c. Installed all programs and drivers per the manual. Had an expert QSY168c camera user check the installation. Sharpcap installed. Camera connects. Try snapshot. no image displayed nor wrote to disc. Have TSX, connects, also won't write. Have used an high end ASUS W10 computer for several years for my astrophotography work with DLSR's. All Good. In Control Panel get the camera is working properly How can I tell if the camera is defective or an interface issue?

Paul Mahany
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY168c issue

Post by admin »

Hi,

If everything is working well and you look in the bottom left-hand corner of the SharpCap window you should see the number of frames that have been received from the camera slowly ticking upwards. I expect if you do that you won't see the number increasing because it sounds like there is a problem with the data flow between the camera and the computer. I would suggest that as a first step of troubleshooting you have a look at the suggestions in this post on troubleshooting USB issues which can often help resolve this sort of problem viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349&p=1556#p1556. In particular always test to begin with with the shortest and simplest USB connection between the computer and the camera – i.e. a single short-ish cable and no hubs or extensions.

Cheers, Robin
PJMahany

Re: QHY168c issue

Post by PJMahany »

Newbe here... We found that if the QHY168c is connected with just the USB cable it is connecting with the various software fine. The cooler must be connected in order to actually take a picture, and not crash the system. We figured this out with a couple of these cameras that this the case yesterday. Well onward with the learning curve.

Thanks for the forum!
PJM