No Brightness And Contrast Slider Under Image Controls With Altair GPCAM3 385C

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
RMSQueenMary

No Brightness And Contrast Slider Under Image Controls With Altair GPCAM3 385C

Post by RMSQueenMary »

I use Altair GPCAM3 385C and there is no brightness, contrast, and gamma slider under Image Controls.

Is there a way to access them?
admin
Site Admin

Re: No Brightness And Contrast Slider Under Image Controls With Altair GPCAM3 385C

Post by admin »

Hi,

Usually, I'd consider it a good thing that these controls are unavailable as the contrast and gamma controls can potentially reduce the fidelity of the data that you capture by applying digital manipulation to the image data before it gets given to SharpCap.

These controls are not available for Altair cameras when the camera is in 'raw' mode. If you really want to access these controls you have to put the camera into RGB mode, but that brings other limitations such as being limited to an eight bit bit depth and having to trust the debayering algorithm built into the camera SDK. I would usually advise against using these controls and instead relying on the following

Exposure, gain and black level controls for the camera
the histogram stretch functionality in the mini histogram as a substitute for contrast/brightness/gamma to adjust the image as viewed without changing the image data that is safe to file

Cheers, Robin
RMSQueenMary

Re: No Brightness And Contrast Slider Under Image Controls With Altair GPCAM3 385C

Post by RMSQueenMary »

admin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:40 pm Hi,

Usually, I'd consider it a good thing that these controls are unavailable as the contrast and gamma controls can potentially reduce the fidelity of the data that you capture by applying digital manipulation to the image data before it gets given to SharpCap.

These controls are not available for Altair cameras when the camera is in 'raw' mode. If you really want to access these controls you have to put the camera into RGB mode, but that brings other limitations such as being limited to an eight bit bit depth and having to trust the debayering algorithm built into the camera SDK. I would usually advise against using these controls and instead relying on the following

Exposure, gain and black level controls for the camera
the histogram stretch functionality in the mini histogram as a substitute for contrast/brightness/gamma to adjust the image as viewed without changing the image data that is safe to file

Cheers, Robin
Thank you Robin.