quick brain question

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
cuivenion

quick brain question

Post by cuivenion »

When using the Histogram brain what Read Noise Limit is usually the best to choose? I can choose from 1,5, and 10% as I remember.
admin
Site Admin

Re: quick brain question

Post by admin »

Hi,

This is one of those weird questions where the answer depends on the priorities of the person asking the question. By going for a lower percentage you will get images that are a tiny bit better than by going for the higher percentages, but you will pay for it with the requirement from much longer sub-exposures. At some point the extra cost in length of sub exposure isn't worth the return in image quality. It's a bit like choosing speaker cable for your hi-fi – proper speaker cable is definitely better than cheapo bell wire, and it might even be worth your while buying the speaker cable that costs a couple of pounds per metre rather than 50p per metre, but the improvements that you get by going into the speaker cable at £200 per metre that's been hand beaten from genuine Irish gold by genuine Irish leprechauns is almost certainly not worth the cost…

Cheers, Robin
cuivenion

Re: quick brain question

Post by cuivenion »

Thanks Robin. I went for 10% in the end , but I was still getting odd results from the brain so I ended up using the normal histogram