Quick question on plate solving

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
barrabclaw

Quick question on plate solving

Post by barrabclaw »

Hello,

I'm fairly new to SharpCap. I've spent a lot of time inside playing with the software due to cloudy weather. I thought I understood how the plate solve tool works, but reading through the manual I don't think I actually do.

So, instead of using the Tools menu and selecting Plate Solve, I should be using the mount control window. Okay.

I have my mount set up as a EQMOD ASCOM EQ5 (it's an Orion Sirius). I have the USB connection (no hand pendant) working, and I can move the mount with the N,S,E,W buttons. However, I don't see the button that looks like a GPS/locate symbol. Looking at the manual, it's next to the W and S buttons. However, in my window, I have a button that says "Pad." My window also looks different. It's the red, black, and tan EQMOD window. The window in the manual looks different. So am I connecting to my mount in the wrong way?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
NeilG

Re: Quick question on plate solving

Post by NeilG »

That problem is typically because Sharpcap can't find your plate solving software. I'm assuming you have downladed and installed it? Yu can tell Sharpcap where to find the plate solving software in the settings tab/menus.
Scopes: Celestron C11, 102SLT , Ascension 127mm Apo, Opticstar 152mm Mak, Ascension 80mm Apo
Mounts: EQ8, EQ5 Pro, Nexstar SLT
Imaging: ASI1600MM-Cool, ASI533MC-Pro, ASI290MM, ASI224MC, Quark, QHY5L-II-M,
Opticstar 82 eyepieces, lots of other stuff
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Actually, it sounds a bit more like you haven't enabled the scope controls in SharpCap yet (or haven't found them in the right hand control panel) and you are using the EQ mod controls instead.

Check out https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Mount%20Control and https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Hardware%20Tab

Cheers, Robin
barrabclaw

Post by barrabclaw »

To NeilG:

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have the plate solving software installed, though. I can use the Tools menu, choose Plate Solve, and have it successfully solve. This method doesn't sync with the mount, but it shows that the plate solving software is working.

To Robin,

Before posting about this, I had set up the mount in Settings->Hardware tab. I selected EQMOD ASCOM EQ5. I checked the box to auto-connect when I connect to a camera. When I connect to the camera, the EQMOD control window pops up. You're correct, I was trying to use that window. I haven't seen a SharpCap mount control window pop up that looks like the screenshot in the manual. Am I missing something? I was trying to find that window before I posted here but I was at a loss.

Thank you again.
barrabclaw

Post by barrabclaw »

Hi Robin,

Actually now that I know to look in the right hand section where the rest of the controls are, I see it when connecting so a simulated EQ5. I will try it again when i get home with the real deal. Thank you for the help. I was expecting another pop up window because that's what I was used to seeing with another program I use.