Using astrtortilla and BYEOS

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Makeitso

Using astrtortilla and BYEOS

Post by Makeitso »

I’m trying to figure out how to use astrotortilla to plate solve. Astrototilla is connect to the BYEOS server. Am I supposed to initiate the plate solve from astototilla, or am I supposed to initiate it from SharpCap?

I don’t have clear sky’s now so I can’t actually go out and try it. I figured maybe I could get a handle on it from here.

When I try it with Sharpcap, it say capturing a frame to plate solve but, nothing happens, eventually, it times out. When I start using astrotortilla, I get nothing.

I’m not sure how to do plate solving using astrotortilla at all with Sharpcap and my dslr. It’s either a canon t3 or a t2i, (I have both). I tried using the file folder camera and copying a file to the right folder, it give me an exception and exits. I sent the provided data from the exception in with an explanation.

Thanks for any help, Jack
admin
Site Admin

Re: Using astrtortilla and BYEOS

Post by admin »

Hi,

Please can you post the contents of your SharpCap log after you have tried to do the plates of operation. Plate solving puts a lot of information into the log which would be helpful in diagnosing what might be going wrong.

Cheers, Robin
Makeitso

Post by Makeitso »

Let me start by saying, I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. I'm just fumbling around in the dark here. Any explanation of how to use astrotortilla connected to BYEOS and use SharpCap to plate solve using the dslr connected to BYEOS would be welcome.

Here is the log file. I tried several different scenarios. I won't explain each one I tried since you can probably tell more from looking at the logs than I can hope to explain. I did this today while not actually connected to a real mount. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not.

If you need me to explain or need more info of any kind let me know.

Thanks, Jack
Attachments
Log_2019-03-15T10_36_05-16124.log
(181.66 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

It looks like the first problem in the log is that the plate solver is not finding any stars in your image. You could try increasing the exposure or gain when capturing an image or try reducing the Sigma parameter specified in the SharpCap plate solving section of the settings. Both of these are likely to make it easier for the plate solver to detect stars even if they are faint.

Cheers, Robin
devonshire

Post by devonshire »

I use BackYard Nikon + NikonD5300, with Astrotortilla. BYN = BYE for Nikon. Works fine, but in my setup AT is a separate, new installation, nothing to do with Sharpcap.

Sharpcap runs my Altair, and BYN runs my DSLR. I figured that sharing AT would create an interdependency that neither developer would expect, so I didn't do it.

There are instructions and threads over at otelescope.com on setting up the integration. My own experience was that AT 0.8 Alpha-1 worked, and previous builds didn't. Also, the parameters for Astrotortilla took some work to stabilize, but now it all just works. AT gets the mount's target position, commands images from the DSLR, solves and repositions. Rinse and repeat (usually 3 shots), and the target is right in the middle. It was a pain to set up, but once working, I love it.

And, of course, Sharpcap does likewise, for my Polar Alignment :-)

- Bob