Can Sharpcap dither using "start capture" and not live stacking

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
chongo228

Can Sharpcap dither using "start capture" and not live stacking

Post by chongo228 »

I've got the live stacking dither down and it works great. Sometimes I use the normal "start capture" and not live stacking if i'm not around my setup for an hour or two. Can I dither using the normal "start capture"? Can you only dither in live stacking mode?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can Sharpcap dither using "start capture" and not live stacking

Post by admin »

Hi,

The dithering functionality is currently only available while live stacking. I hope to make this a functionality available during normal capture in the next major version of SharpCap sometime later this year.

Cheers, Robin
emagowan

Re: Can Sharpcap dither using "start capture" and not live stacking

Post by emagowan »

I usually use Live Stack with SharpCap, with the option to save individual frames as .fits files. To me, it's the best of both worlds. I can occasionally save the stack and do a screen stretch in PixInsight to check progress. Dithering works great and I have the individual frames to stack afterwards. I'll have SharpCap save the stack and reset every XX minutes total exposure. I'll do it this way for myself and for public outreach. For outreach I'm always with other club members, I'll get it going and tell visitors we'll let SharpCap do its thing while we walk around to other telescopes or give a constellation tour and in general flap my jaw for a while. 10 minutes later there's a nice image on the screen, quick transfer to PixInsight for screen stretch and then visitors can take photos of the result with their smart phones. Some folks enjoy watching the stacking process and seeing the gradual image improvement. I've been at this for 50+ years and still get a kick out of seeing an image show up. I think back to my film and manual guiding days and can't believe I used to torture myself like that.