Auto Saving an image

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Dark Matter

Auto Saving an image

Post by Dark Matter »

How can I get SharpCap to auto save PNG images like other similar programs do - Nebulosity 4, AA6, etc?
I use W10 and ZWO cameras.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Auto Saving an image

Post by admin »

Hi,

two ways

* if you just want to save one PNG at a time, hit the 'Snapshot' button on the toolbar. This will save a single still frame and it will be in PNG format unless you have been into the Settings Dialog and set the 'Preferred Still Format' option to FITS - if you've done that you will get FITS files.

* If you want to capture lots of frames as individual PNG files rather than an AVI or SER video, then look in the 'Capture Format and Area' controls, turn the 'Output Format' control off of Auto mode and set it to PNG using the dropdown. Note that this will work for your ZWO cameras in 2.9 and 2.10, but is only available for webcams in 2.10.

cheers,

Robin
Dark Matter

Post by Dark Matter »

Many thanks, Robin for this speedy reply. I will do as you said.

I love your program and accolades to your coding skills..!!

Q/ Can S/Cap do plate solving? If so, out to what FOV will it cover? Looking forward to your Manual when it comes out.

BTW, I live in Queensland, Australia and do Asteroid search and imaging of elusive Nebulae.

cheers,

James

PS have you been approached by and Mallincam and GStar with a SDK as yet? as I'd love to use S/Cap with those vid cams.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi James,

plate solving for general use is in SharpCap 2.10 - it requires you to setup SharpCap to talk to an ASCOM compatible mount and to have either AstroTortilla or All Sky Plate Solver already installed. When that's all setup you will see a button with the GPS icon in the mount controls which will solve the current frame and re-point the telescope.

The polar alignment has a mini plate solver built in, but that is restricted to within 5 degrees of each pole.

For Mallincam etc I'm afraid you will have to use either the DirectShow driver or the ASCOM driver - SharpCap has no direct support for these cameras right now.

cheers,

Robin