Analysis sensor

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Frank

Analysis sensor

Post by Frank »

Goodmorning everyone.
sorry if my english is not good but use a translator.
I will use this nice program recently. I want to ask something about sensor analysis.
I expose quickly: can I test only with camera without telescope? need to go down with temperature? when have test data affect their brain settings for sky reading?
thank you very much for your patience.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Analysis sensor

Post by admin »

Hi,

you can certainly run the sensor analysis procedure without the telescope attached to the camera. I often use a small camera lens for this procedure but it's perfectly possible to run it with no lens at all, just be careful not to get too much dust on your sensor if you do that. If you have the sort of 1.25 inch nosepiece cap that is made of translucent plastic then that's perfect to put over the camera nosepiece to run the sensor analysis.

The temperature of the sensor has very very little effect on the sensor analysis measurements, so there is no need to worry about cooling or the stent temperature when taking that measurement. When you are measuring the sky background brightness in the brain window you should have the camera at the temperature you intend to image at as the thermal noise will be measured as part of the sky background and included in the calculation of recommended exposure length.

Cheers, Robin
Frank

Post by Frank »

thank you very much for your reply.
after writing have found in the forum some answers to my questions. I apologize.
in about ten days my sharpcap license expires but I will definitely renew it.
now continue to have problems with focusing: no to understand how much black to put because with raw16 do not see red halo around the star.
still thank for answers and compliments for software.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

a good guideline for the black level setting in the star detection for focusing can be gained by looking at the image histogram. There will be a big peak in the histogram due to the predominantly black background – just look at the horizontal axis at the bottom to find out the percentage level of the right hand side of this peak and set that is your black level in the star detection settings.

Cheers, Robin