Sharpcap and Sequence Generator Pro

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
remyastro

Sharpcap and Sequence Generator Pro

Post by remyastro »

Hi,

I am using Sharpcap successfully for several months.

What I'd like to do now is to take advantage of Sequence Generator Pro auto-focus feature.
Is it possible to use SGP auto-focus within Sharpcap features, I mean using Sharpcap for images capturing , processing and live stacking, and using SGP in the same time for auto-focussing ?

Any help appreciated.
Remyastro
mAnKiNd

Re: Sharpcap and Sequence Generator Pro

Post by mAnKiNd »

I find the semi automated focusing routine in Sharpcap more to my liking than SGP and I have used both programs extensively. If you absolutely must have fully automated focusing, then you'll need to switch between programs disconnecting and reconnecting the camera accordingly. If not, you might also find semi automated focusing in Sharpcap to be more to your liking. Give it a try and see for yourself.
remyastro

Post by remyastro »

Hi mAnKiNd,

Thank you for your swift reply.
I'll follow your advice and try Sharpcap semi automated routine next time.
If there is no other solution than switching between programs, which means disconnecting and reconnecting the camera, this is something I really do not want to test while imaging!

Cheers!
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

I've had good luck with the SC routine also. I've tested it back to back and get pretty consistent results vs my mask.

I hope in a future version you can auto select go to best score or position so it will automatically finish.

Also a pre-selected start value so it will start without moving the focuser to a specific location. (If focus is around 6050- 6100 steps have it know to start around 6025 for example.

I believe the next version of SC will be set up to have sequencing...I suspect the focus routing might have more options.
remyastro

Post by remyastro »

Hi all,

I have tested the SC semi-automatic focusing and I got good results too.

Now the best would be that the next version of SC would integrate a full automatic focusing feature, as the step seems not so big to implement it !
Also a pre-selected start value to avoid having to move the focuser to a specific location, as suggested by Chongo228.

Robin please, what's your position about this question ?
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I certainly like the idea of fully automatic focusing in principle, but I have seen a number of applications where autofocusing seemed to involve moving the focus are randomly a bit and then claiming that the focus was now correct in spite of all available evidence and I really didn't want to do that in SharpCap!

I suppose that taking the ideal starting position a bit further might help – if the focus position was limited to a band of values that the user configured then autofocus might be more reliable – basically in the configuration you would set up that the best focus point was between 7000 and 9000 and that would give SharpCap both a good starting point and an idea of what range it should be looking within.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Robin

We had this discussion recently on another SC forum as I was looking for auto-refocusing as the night temperature changes and thinking of programs like SGPro. I know we discussed the maybe not-so-great utility these other programs claim; yet, I see others religiously refocus after 20 mins, after a 2 degrees change, or whatever parameter they chose. I've tested some of this myself to see if refocusing changed the step count after a 2 degree change, for example, and found no discernible difference in focus. So, I am somewhat confused about the validity of constantly checking and changing focus for needed refocusing. Maybe if your image session is very long in that the temperature drops dramatically during the night (e.g., > 7-10 degrees), refocusing is needed but it seems more relevant to get the focus right the first time in most cases.

However, speaking of SGPro and what else it can do that would great to add to SC........automated meridian flip would be nice. The scope and program would stop, flip, and then restart automatically, running for a specified period of time before both the program and scope shutdown. I'd get a lot more sleep if that could happen.

Regards,

Bruce
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, Meridian flips are somewhere on my mental list of things to do (although not particular high up at the moment).

I once borrowed a 10 inch Newtonian which was dreadful for needing the focusing changed as it cooled down – that, along with needing collimation far too often made it much too high maintenance to be worth bothering with... In the end I gave it back because of those problems. However, nice, low maintenance, short focal length refractors don't seem to show that problems nearly the same degree.

Cheers, Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

OK- got it for the meridian flip. How about dithering outside of live stack mode? Will that be possible in the near future as I am getting a lot of "walking noise" when I cannot dither?

BTW- I am primarily using a C11" EdgeHD when I was referring to focusing and refocusing. I primarily refocus when I slew to a different part of the sky. With my 80mm refractor there is virtually no need to keep refocusing.
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

umasscrew39 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:54 pm OK- got it for the meridian flip. How about dithering outside of live stack mode? Will that be possible in the near future as I am getting a lot of "walking noise" when I cannot dither?

BTW- I am primarily using a C11" EdgeHD when I was referring to focusing and refocusing. I primarily refocus when I slew to a different part of the sky. With my 80mm refractor there is virtually no need to keep refocusing.
An easy work around is to select "view individual frames" while live stacking and you will view the last frame only I believe. Would be the same as normal image capture just with the live stacking menu display.

I've found inconstant results due to where my target is. Low on the horizon or pointing at a light dome seems to give it much more trouble than a high up. I'm not sure how SC would adjust for this over a long imaging run to be truly automatic. I'm sure I could play with the settings more and figure it out settings that work decent for low and high....in the mean time I either use the focus assistant or just put a mask on it the focus assistant results don't make a nice curve and look odd.