Using the manual filter wheel option as filter categorization for color cameras

Somewhere to share your expertise in using SharpCap
Menno555

Using the manual filter wheel option as filter categorization for color cameras

Post by Menno555 »

Here a tip to categorize FITS captures with a color camera so that it includes the used filter without an actual filter wheel.

I have a color camera and filters like the Optolongs, Baader, IR-Pass, etc. But I lost track each time in my older captures of what filter I used.
I don't have a filter wheel but by using the filter wheel option in SharpCap, the used filter is now stored in the FITS header and in DeepSkyStacker (in my case) it now shows the used filter without me having to search what I used for that capture.

To do this, go to the SharpCap settings and to the Hardware tab.
In there, select Manual Filter Wheel and click Properties.
Give your filters a name and Apply.
Now when running SharpCap, you see a filter wheel part on the right side. Check the Connect box and highlight the filter you are using. There of course is no real connection because there is no physical filter wheel but SharpCap is just happy with it. Now the filter name is saved with each FITS capture you make.
I have done this only with FITS files, so I'm not sure if this will also work for SER, PNG or other formats.

Menno

Screenshot of manual filter wheel settings and use
Screenshot of manual filter wheel settings and use
manual_filter_wheel.jpg (232.1 KiB) Viewed 8113 times
MikeHuerto

Re: Using the manual filter wheel option as filter categorization for color cameras

Post by MikeHuerto »

Hi Menno
Yes, it works fine with ´Save As Seen PNG LiveStack processed output in SC. A very useful trick!

CS

Mike
Bortle 5
Skywatcher GOTO Synscan 14" Dobson
Skywatcher 130PDS on HEQ5
ZWOASI224MC and ASI294MCPro
Laptop = Lenovo Legion 5 FullHD 144Hz (Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA RTX2060-6GB, Windows 10
Buckrogers

Re: Using the manual filter wheel option as filter categorization for color cameras

Post by Buckrogers »

Great tip, thank you.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

You are welcome :)

Menno
MunichAtNight

Post by MunichAtNight »

Menno555 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 pm Here a tip to categorize FITS captures with a color camera so that it includes the used filter without an actual filter wheel.
Hello I looked for something different and I found with your tip by chance a solution for a problem I looked for a long time to solve it! Great! Thanks!

Servus MunichAtNight - Ewald