Tip on how to browse and check individual frames very fast

Somewhere to share your expertise in using SharpCap
Menno555

Tip on how to browse and check individual frames very fast

Post by Menno555 »

Here a tip that is not really SharpCap related but it s a tip on how to check on individual frames captured with SharpCap :)
I did find that it's handy to do a first quick check and selection myself on FITS files. Especially when you have a lot of files, that can save time in the stacking process.
I use the free image viewer IrfanView for that. It's a image viewer with a lot of possibilities. It also has a great JPG compression/quality performance. It saves files in JPG in high quality but low(er) in data size. I do have Photoshop but always use IrfanView when saving something to JPG.

But the cool part is that it is also showing FITS files. Not debayered, so it shows in grayscale but it's a very good and fast way to check FITS and delete if needed. Just open the first frame and start going through them with the Spacebar. When a frame is not good, press Delete and go to the next (the settings allow you to set it to go to the next file automatically after deleting a file).

I've been using IrfanView for more then 10 years now and I think it's really a kind of must-have. And no, I'm not affiliated with it ;)
Info and download on https://www.irfanview.com

Menno