Mount not found at com 2

Somewhere to share your expertise in using SharpCap
Daryl

Mount not found at com 2

Post by Daryl »

I'm using a Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 pro mount but cannot get Sharpcap to recognise the mount in the hardware tab, file settings. Hence attempted other selected mounts, on camera ST4, SynScan Mobile, EQMOD ASCOM HE-Q5/6 etc. The tool window for HE-EQ5/6 did appear in the control panel right hand side but only with the following error "mount not found at com 2 :9600. SynScan Mobile will park the mount but not allow any any control.
I'm using the latest windows 10 pro 10.0.18362 Build 18362. Using the device manager com 4, I assume, is available.
Could someone help or steer me in the correct direction?
turfpit

Re: Mount not found at com 2

Post by turfpit »

Darly

What does Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT) actually say with the mount connected and turned on?

COM-ports.JPG
COM-ports.JPG (16.39 KiB) Viewed 3606 times

Dave
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Dave
I have managed to correct the com port for the mount to use com 2 through the device manager. The manager is showing >Ports (COM & LPT)>Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM 2)etc and properties "this device is working properly". I'm using a USB to Skywatcher USB connection port on the SW mount with a 2 metre cable.
However, on starting Sharpcap the EQMOD HEQ5/6 control box appears on the left hand side and a second control box is displayed within the Sharpcap control panel (right hand side). The EQ box (RHS) displays "Connection error Timeout" subsequently nothing is working.
Where to now?

Daryl
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Daryl
The manager is showing >Ports (COM & LPT)>Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM 2)etc and properties "this device is working properly"
That looks better now.

Have a look in File > SharpCap Settings > Hardware and post a picture.

Has this been working and stopped or is it a first attempt to get working?

In the SharpCap manual, have a read at:

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Configuring%20SharpCap

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Mount%20Control. This would require the ASCOM platform to be installed from
https://ascom-standards.org/index.htm

A Forum search for 'Skywatcher ASCOM' might help.

Dave
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Not sure if it is related but I have a Synscan Avalon M-UNO that is effectively using the EQ5/6 controller and I connect to this using the EQDirect method via the FTDI or Prolific chipset can't remember which one. If I plug this cable in the USB 2 port of my Eagle then it says it is working under device manager but I cannot connect to the mount. If I then plug it into the USB3 port I can see it in device manager and it still reports that it is working but now it will connect to the mount.

I know USB2 has a 500ma / USB3 900ma capability and would not expect this connection to pull anywhere near this amount of power so it could be something else but if you have a USB3 port it might be worth a try.

Cheers
Nick