SharpCap .tif files do no open in Sequator

Somewhere to share your expertise in using SharpCap
Watcher

SharpCap .tif files do no open in Sequator

Post by Watcher » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:02 pm

If this is a repeat I apologize.
Saved single frame shots saved in .tif format from SharpCap do not open in Sequator, Puzzled, I ran the files through Lightroom and download them into a new folder in .tif format. I ran the files in and out and did not do any editing.These files opened in Sequator The files were also five times larger then the SharpCap files. I'm assuming the .tif files from SharpCap are highly compressed. The question is how much data is lost with that much compressing?

admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap .tif files do no open in Sequator

Post by admin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:45 pm

Hi,

SharpCap does use compression when saving TIFF files by default, but you can turn this off in the settings window. The compression is the lossless sort, meaning that it is not going to have any impact on the image quality, but it can cause compatibility issues like the ones you've noticed with some applications.

Cheers, Robin

Watcher

Post by Watcher » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Excellent!!!
Does using uncompressed TIFF slow down the capture rate?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:11 pm

Hi,

it might do – the files will certainly be bigger which means they will take longer to write to disk. If you are using an SSD you might not notice, and if you are taking fairly long exposures (more than a few seconds) then you probably won't notice even if you are using an old-fashioned hard disk.

Cheers, Robin