Time Stamp Format

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Wolfie6020

Time Stamp Format

Post by Wolfie6020 »

Hello and thanks for SharpCap, I have only been using it for a short while but am enjoying it already.

I use it with ZWO cameras and a Coronado Solar Max III for time lapse video of the Sun. (Sample below)

I share these videos for educational purposes and use the time stamp feature often.

Would it be possible to implement a larger font and adjust the location of the Time Stamp to the lower right corner? Perhaps user selectable Font / colour / location.

It works well but when using high resolution cameras the time stamp is so small it cannot be seen easily when uploaded to YouTube.

Thanks for your consideration of this request.

Regards

Rob.

https://youtu.be/jpytKItp7-g
admin
Site Admin

Re: Time Stamp Format

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion - good point that it is too small in some cases to see with high resolution cameras.

I will consider adding this customization for the size to a future version of SharpCap. I already have an outstanding request for an option to use local time so maybe a bit of a revamp of this feature is due at some point.

cheers,

Robin
Wolfie6020

Post by Wolfie6020 »

Hi Robin,

Thanks, that would be fabulous. It would add greatly to these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZHzb7nmJas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a_gRx6o3V8

Something like this would be perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Birr5J9To0

Cheers.

Rob.
frankieusn

Post by frankieusn »

I would also like a local offset option for the time stamp as it would enhance the allsky functionality. As a work around for anyone using a ZWO camera, the directshow dirver instance in SharpCap does display local time when the time stamp box is checked and the font is bigger. Thanks for an outstanding program! It's amazing how far it has come and not a suggestion but, a compliment, it's worth more than the current yearly subscription.
Wolfie6020

Post by Wolfie6020 »

Hi Robin,

Friendly request reminder. This would be awesome as I just picked up a ZWO 183 MC for some really high resolution images on the Sun with a Coronado solar scope and the timestamp is so tiny on the images I cannot see the details.

Quite happy to make a 100 USD donation for your efforts on this as this is my favourite astronomy program by far and large time stamp would make it perfect for my use. (Mostly all day Solar / Lunar time lapses at 1 frame per 15 or 30 seconds)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IHFW3f ... sp=sharing
amister

Post by amister »

Hi, I'm assuming the larger timestamp in images did not get implemented?

Im at least not finding anything in the image controls within SharpCap, just the option to turn on/off the timestamp.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, this actually got done - SharpCap 4.1, Settings, Cameras tab, change the option 'Timestamp font scaling'.

cheers,

Robin
amister

Post by amister »

Hi, even with Fontscaling turned up to '4' (which looks like the max) this is the size of the timestamp in my images....any suggestions to make larger? Also, anyway to measure down to nanoseconds with the timestamp? (guessing not but thought I'd ask)
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (989.73 KiB) Viewed 146 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Only thing that might work straight away is to run your camera at 2x2 binning, which would make the timestamp double in size relative to the image. The other upside to that is a potential reduction by a factor of 4 in saved file sizes.

You might argue that you have the high resolution of the camera and you'd prefer to use it, but it's worth checking the fine detail in the image - the curved domes used in all-sky cameras inevitably degrade the image somewhat as they have their own refractive effect - that might mean that with a high resolution camera you are over-sampled compared to the resolution of the optics of the system and binning may not even affect the final image quality much.

cheers,

Robin