Best Sharp Implementation

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
johnpd

Best Sharp Implementation

Post by johnpd »

I don't think this is currently incorporated in SharpCap but I was wondering if this type of capability is there or if it could be added to SharpCap. I have an old SBIG STV camera which has a unique feature when viewing planets. It is known as "Best Sharp". It takes live images of a planet and determines which one is the sharpest and displays that. As it takes images, it matches the newest image to a previous one which it determined as most sharp. If the newer one is sharper, it displays that replacing the old one. Is this possible?

Thanks,
JohnD
admin
Site Admin

Re: Best Sharp Implementation

Post by admin »

Hi John,

interesting idea - SharpCap can already measure image quality (for the focus assistance or seeing monitor features), so adding a button to one (or both) of those features to toggle between showing the current frame and the 'best so far' frame would be possible I think. Of course, current 'best practice' in planetary imaging is to use high gain and short exposures which means that all frames will be quite noisy and you don't get to see a sharp, non-noisy image until you have stacked, but still maybe some fun in this.

cheers,

Robin
johnpd

Re: Best Sharp Implementation

Post by johnpd »

Robin,

That would be great. As I mentioned this was a feature of the STV about 20 years ago. It really made observing planets much better. I remember back in 2003 when Mars was last closest to the Earth, I was getting some great images of Mars and was able to show this to a lot of people at a public observing event.Please take a crack at it.

Thanks,
JohnD