Center on an object in the camera's field of view

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
robrj

Center on an object in the camera's field of view

Post by robrj »

It would be nice to be able to select an object in a frame and have Sharpcap center that object in the field of view without having to bump the hand controller. Many times I see an object that's a bit off center. I'd like to be able to use the mouse pointer to click the object and have Sharpcap center it in the camera's view. It would be particularly helpful to pick a mid-point between two objects or three objects so it can be better framed in the shot. So, for example, picking the middle of the Leo Trio. Bumping with the hand controller could be used but if the exposure is long, it can take a while to see if I went the right way.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Center on an object in the camera's field of view

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you are using planetarium software and a GOTO mount then the 'GPS' button in the mount control should do exactly that - the workflow is select your target in the planetarium software, GOTO it, then press the GPS button which will plate solve, resync the mount and then re-goto the target.

Without using the planetarium/goto software it's actually a tricky problem to solve, since SharpCap has no idea which direction the image will move when the mount moves +Dec or +RA - that depends on the rotation of the camera, whether you are using a scope like a newt with a diagonal secondary, etc. The 'Feature Tracking' option has a good deal of the code to work this out by moving the mount and seeing which way the view moves (like calibrating in PHD2), but that calibrtion would take quite a while at deep sky imaging frame rates.

I'll bear it in mind to see if I can work out anything clever, but not seeing any neat way to do this at the moment.

cheers,

Robin