Plate Solving Parameters

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
cuivenion

Plate Solving Parameters

Post by cuivenion »

Hi, I would like the ability to enter focal length and pixel size (or image scale) for the plate solving feature. As far as I know sharpcap doesn't do this.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate Solving Parameters

Post by admin »

That's right - SharpCap currently doesn't do anything about pixel scale in plate solving.

This is currently deliberate - adding scale ranges can make plate solving faster, but it can also make it fail if they are entered incorrectly (or the use of a different scope/camera changes the scales). To my view the risk of the latter problem outweighs the value of the speed increase - particularly for 'solve+sync' with a mount connected that is fast because it only searches a small area of sky.

Ideally I'd like features like this to 'just work' and not need any configuration - or at least as little as possible - throughout the whole of SharpCap.

So the question is - is there a use case where it's critical that blind plate solving is faster, or am I wrong in my assumption that restricting the scale range only speeds up the solving process?

cheers,

Robin
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

That's fair, I suppose if you want something more configurable you can just use the platesolving software itself. Just as an afterthought is sharpcap platesolving set to JNOW or J2000 epoch.
robrj

Post by robrj »

As a workaround, you could remove indexes that you know won't solve given your image scale/focal length. That way, Sharpcap won't search through them because they're not there. So for example, based on the LightVortex tutorial for Astrotortilla, I know my ASI294MC and my ED80T-CF camera would only use indexes 4205-4211. So I can move 4200-4204 and 4212+ from Astrotortilla's cygwin index location and put them in a backup directory should my scope or camera change.

My index files are located in C:\Cygwin\usr\share\astrometry\data\

Just google Light Vortex and Astrotortilla for the instructions. I'd post a link but that site is blocked on my work computer.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Thanks, I'll give it a go.