AIRMASS

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
oopfan

AIRMASS

Post by oopfan »

Robin,

Another labor saver, even greater than "OBJCTRA and OBJCTDEC" described in my feature suggestion here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=734

is a key/value pair named AIRMASS which is a measure of the amount of atmosphere between you and the star.

The first approximation of AIRMASS is the secant of the zenith distance:

AIRMASS = SEC(Z), where Z = 90 - Altitude

I think that SharpCap has enough information to calculate zenith distance. What is needed is the observer's latitude and longitude, Universal Time, and the coordinates of the center of the image (i.e. OBJCTRA and OBJCTDEC).

As you can see AIRMASS is constantly changing as time marches forward.

As an example of how much of a time saver this can be, a few weeks ago I measured the light curve of the short period variable star named 'YZ Boo'. I captured a total of 100 frames over a period of 3 hours. Each frame was captured with a 100 second exposure. As you can see AIRMASS changed dramatically over the entire sequence, and even from frame to frame. In order to obtain the best quality photometry I had to obtain the timestamp from each frame and calculate the zenith distance in a spreadsheet, and then use F4W2HDU to write AIRMASS to the associated FITS file. Very time consuming and prone to error.

Thanks,
Brian