Extra File format

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
MrAstroBen

Extra File format

Post by MrAstroBen »

As well as astrophotography i use my setup to capture wildlife. An Altair 183C in daylight gives the option of very fast exposures which is perfect for this.

If i could save the images in a common raw format other than fits though it would be much better. Would this be difficult to achieve?

I use DXO for the basic processing of wildlife images but converting fits in another program can cause other issues.
Thanks Rob
admin
Site Admin

Re: Extra File format

Post by admin »

Hi,

will your DXO program accept RAW images in either PNG or TIFF format? SharpCap 3.1 can save raw images to both of these formats in either 8 or 16 bit.

cheers,

Robin
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

I have not tested with png as understood the quality wasnt as good?
I have tried tiff via altaircapture (didnt see the option in Sharpcap which i prefer). Will look again.
However, DXO does not see those tiff files as raw so various sharpening options are not available . States file must be in raw format.
They work via the raw files from my nikon.

Appreciate Sharpcap hasn't been designed for this purpose. I can see a market for it though, wildlife photographers spend a fortune on camera lens or spotting scopes. I can get extremely close to a subject without disturbing them with a telescope for a lot less.
Took a photo of a squirrel yesterday, the sky and clouds were a very clear reflection in its eyes.

I focus the telescope on the bird table 20m away. Display the image on a second screen when working at home. Hit capture when see a visitor. No burning up the shutter count on my nikon or flat batteries.
Thanks Rob
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Just updated from 3 to 3.1.
Tried png but DXO does not recognise the files
The tiff files are showing in monochrome? It displays the tiff files from altaircapture in colour.
Thanks Rob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just tested with AltiarCapture and you can only save TIFF in RGB as far as I can see - in RAW you get FITS, so it doesn't look like there is any magic way to make TIFF get debayered automatically. I'd suggets save to TIFF/PNG/FITS and debayer in PIPP for best results before processing the debayered file. As far as I can see the RAW formats that are associated with the various digital SLR cameras are fairly complicated and I'm unlikely to add support for any of them in the near future.

cheers,

Robin
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

Thanks Robin. I can understand this.
MrAstroBen

Post by MrAstroBen »

I signed up to the DXO forum last night so i could search for fits file support. A few have asked for this previously.

Last was in 2016 where the developer said people interested in FITS were an extreme minority.

I have made the request again and explained that we are not so small in numbers. DXO has some very good tools, one being clear view which reduces the effect of seeing conditions and another for sharpness.
As well as being handy for long range daytime image improvement they work well for one shot milkyway images.

If it could of handled FITS in and out perhaps pre stacking prep would have been a possibility.

The lens correction it does is very clever, although written for specific camera lens it shows what is possible.