variable gain for sensor analysis

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Astrogate

variable gain for sensor analysis

Post by Astrogate »

Hi Robin

I was looking into your sensor analysis feature and it seems like it is setup more for longer DSO imaging. As you are aware many of us are into EAA or rear real-time observing/imaging and mostly use higher gain levels in order to reduce the exposure times and also improve the read noise levels at the expense of less dynamic range. Under the "Aim For" there are just two selections highest dynamic range & unity gain and I was wondering if you could implement an option for the camera tester to select a specific gain. Thank you!

Chris A
admin
Site Admin

Re: variable gain for sensor analysis

Post by admin »

Hi,

the only reason that you'd use a higher gain than the ones suggested is if you want to limit the sub-exposure length to some maximum value (say 15s). In the absence of such a limit you should use the suggested values as they will give you the best stack quality over any total imaging time period.

However... if you *do* want to limit the maximum exposure then just do so on the brain window - select a maximum exposure of 5s or whatever your preferred value is. The brain algorithm will then take that into account in its calculation and suggest a gain/exposure that gives optimal results given your exposure limitations.

cheers,

Robin
Astrogate

Post by Astrogate »

Oh, okay Robin that is easy enough to do. Thank you for the quick response.

Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

one more thing to note - if you pick a max exposure in the brain of (say) 10s, you may get a 'No Solution' result - this means that, given your sky brightness and camera parameters there is no way to hit your selected read noise limit % given that maximum exposure - in which case to get any sort of solution you will have to increase the read noise limit.

Be sure that you understand that if you do do this then you are deliberately accepting reduced image quality (as evidenced by the higher read noise limit) in exchange for shorter sub-exposure lengths.

cheers,

Robin
Astrogate

Post by Astrogate »

Hi Robin

That is great advice and I will follow it. I will do a sensor analysis with both cameras (ASI1600MC & ASI183MM) using my flat panel and dark's and save the results. I will then when pointing my darkest area of my sky run the brain and use 5 sec for min and 60 sec for max with the read noise limit at 10% with a total of viewing exposure at 10 minutes (which is what I average per object of viewing). I will get back and let you know how it worked out.

Cheers,

Chris