Additions/changes - Near Live Imaging

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
donboy

Additions/changes - Near Live Imaging

Post by donboy »

Hi Robin, thought I'd check in and mention some of what the EAA/ Near Live Imaging/ and NSN users are needing.

1. AWB that works for DSOs - SNAP doesn't cut it. Super important, We're all tired and frustrated with this. As soon as ASICAP can sequentially capture frames lots of us will be using it with other software. This is too important to us, especial those that do outreach or live broadcasting, we want SC to be our one stop software.

2. Saturation slider that is for display control.

3. Give us back display controls with slider: Contrast, Gamma, Brightness with a reset to 1.0 - The current histogram is to awkward to use or allow it to be blown up so one can easily make adjustments.

Come on you can do it. Three cheers for Robin. Hip Hip and Hurrah! Hip Hip and Hurrah! Hip Hip and Hurrah! :lol:

Don
admin
Site Admin

Re: Additions/changes - Near Live Imaging

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

you can already make fine changes to the level stretch in the histogram - two ways

1) If you have a keyboard and mouse - hold down SHIFT while dragging one of the lines - it will move 10x slower than usual

2) Touchscreen - start dragging the line sideways and then move your finger above/below the histogram and continue dragging - the further you move vertically out of the histogram area while dragging, the slower it will go.

An auto-colour-balance for live stack is top of the feature list after I've shaken the bugs out of 3.1. It's the sort of small improvement that I'd hope to slip into a 3.1 update build rather than wait for 3.2.

Saturation will have to go into the 'big bucket of stuff' to be considered for 3.2.

cheers,

Robin
mega256

Post by mega256 »

I like Sharocap alot BUT for LIVE IMAGING chasing after WB is NOT FUN. With the 294 even clouds cause the WB to change . And any change in Exposure time or gain makes the user chase after the WB setting..Not too bad for fast exposures but having to wait 30sec to see a change is not fun.

Sharpcap could be a complete single software solution (like Infinity software) with some basic improvments for EAA.

And a +1 for a saturation control..would be great.

"Three cheers for Robin. Hip Hip and Hurrah! Hip Hip and Hurrah! Hip Hip and Hurrah! :lol: "
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to check - you are looking for white balance with live stacking yes?

cheers,

Robin
Astrogate

Post by Astrogate »

Hi Robin

Yes, there are many of us broadcasting live on NSN.com using Sharpcap and really love it! As you know I just started using version 3.1 Pro with my ASI183 mono camera and really like the combination of both Sharpcap and this mono camera for its ease of use for EAA (near real-time observing). I do watch both Don and Bob (Megabob) on NSN.com using their ASI294 CMOS cameras with Sharpcap 3.1 Pro and have seen the frustration of the difficulty/time consuming when it comes down to achieving a correct colour balance. I very well know that ASICAP software which is still very young from ZWO does WB correctly but his nothing else currently to offer. Sharpcap is such a fantastic software and having the WB feature working correctly and perhaps adding a saturation level to the live stacking image would be fantastic (icing on the cake). Also if there is a way to implement a sharpness feature to enhance the live stacked image that would be a ++. Thank you for all of your efforts and for making a great software with an open mind possible for all of us EAA users to enjoy for many years to come.

Cheers,

Chris A
Astrogate

Post by Astrogate »

Sorry, Robin but the answer to your question "Just to check - you are looking for white balance with live stacking yes?" is YES! I also own a ZWO ASI1600 color camera that I want to use with Sharpcap. Thanks again.

Chris A
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's good - I wanted to check that an auto-white balance in live stacking would be the right change to help you out.

Now, I have a request for you guys...

Please can you share some saved stack images that have poor colour balance so that i have some test images to work with when designing the auto-white balance code. Ideally these would be stacks saved as either 16 or 32 bit (not save as seen), so that I can see the stack values without any level or colour balance tweaking. Alternatively, a few saved individual frames would be good. Different targets would be nice so I can test the algorithm on various things.

cheers,

Robin
donboy

Post by donboy »

Hi Robin,

Would .fits files generated when using "Save IndividualFrames' be files that would work for color analysis?

Edit - On rereading what you wanted for files I see it is the save 16 bit stack file. I normally don't use that so on my next session I will be sure to save some.

Don
donboy

Post by donboy »

Robin, went back thru some saved files and found these using the ASI071MC-Cool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqhm0deguffyk ... .fits?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsn226jv4b5uz ... .fits?dl=0

Also sent to your email to be shared with you.

Hope these work.

Don
mega256

Post by mega256 »

Yes Robin ATW for the stack is needed....But I will say that we do broadcast's that show an image of a single frame of a DSO at 3min sub...then show a 20second stack of 9 to display the difference...And I will have to say that ASICAP does AWB with no problems on single frames..

And maybe an option to move the saturation,,(maybe a control key) of RGB at one time..

And to be able to save that adjusted image as seen on the screen would be nice..

Thank you

Bob (mega)