Two instances of Sharpcap sharing the same stack

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
robrj

Two instances of Sharpcap sharing the same stack

Post by robrj »

There's a conversation on CN in the EAA forum about using two matched scopes with one color camera and one mono camera simultaneously, using the mono camera for luminance and sensitivity and the color camera to provide the color information. Is it possible to add a feature so that multiple instances of Sharpcap could share the same live stack space (like a global image space shared across all open instances)? The goal would be rapid deep capture of one object with multiple cameras in a live setting. Perhaps like a campaign mode. Obviously the cameras would need to match fairly closely in image size and arcsec/pixel (like an ASI290MM and an ASI290MC). The inspiration is the Dragonfly telescope: https://petapixel.com/2015/05/27/this-t ... th-100000/
admin
Site Admin

Re: Two instances of Sharpcap sharing the same stack

Post by admin »

Hi,

in theory it could be done (or one SharpCap running both cameras, or two SharpCaps feeding some sort of tool that combines the image, but they would all be very complicated! I will keep an eye on this sort of idea, but I pretty much have a feature list written for the next version now and there's already a lot on it!

cheers,

Robin
robrj

Re: Two instances of Sharpcap sharing the same stack

Post by robrj »

I figured it wouldn't be something in the next version or two unless it was pretty simple. It probably wouldn't be that common of a use case as well. But it would be interesting to make our own dragonfly telescopes with some small, cheap newtonians. Maybe just send the image to watch folders (one for luminance and one for color) which a file-based version of Sharpcap opens as they pop in, similar to Astrotoaster.