Connect to an INDI camera

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
gcog

Connect to an INDI camera

Post by gcog »

Can you add the ability to connect to an INDI camera?
The big advantage of the INDI protocol is to be able to work on a network architecture.
For example: a small computer like a NUC or a Raspberry PI connected to the Camera near the telescope and a control PC with sharpCap connected with Wifi or ethernet cable to control the camera.
The client part of INDI can be build and use on Windows plateform.
I have already create a small INDI client in C++ on a Windows computer I know C++/C#/Java languages and if you want I can help.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Connect to an INDI camera

Post by admin »

Hi,

interesting idea - it's a shame there doesn't seem to be an ASCOM camera driver that talks to INDI devices as that would give a workable solution for now (looks like there is the other way round - an INDI server that talks to ASCOM devices).

I already have Canon DSLR lined up as the new devices to be supported in the next version, but I will keep this in mind.

cheers,

Robin
glauria

Post by glauria »

Hi,

I would like to add myself as a user who would really like to use Sharpcap with an INDI camera. I am trying to do EAA, and Sharpcap looks like the best program out there to do this. However, I am controlling my mount / guider / camera through INDI via a Raspberry Pi which allows me to control everything remotely. It would be awesome if Sharpcap could support an INDI camera so I don't have to use a USB cable between the camera and laptop which is defeating the purpose of using INDI.

Clear skies,
-Gene
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just to let you know that while the next version won't support INDI cameras directly, it will have an option where it will pick up files saved into a folder as a 'camera'. That means that you could have one application that supports your INDI camera that just saves each frame to a folder and then SharpCap will see each new file that arrives in the folder and processes it as if it had come from a camera (so for instance live stacks it). Not perfect, but a viable workaround for some.

cheers,

Robin
glauria

Post by glauria »

Great Robin,

This will work just fine. I have used Deep Sky Stacker Live and AstroToaster which works this way. One thing that I'm finding though, if/when Sharpcap supports INDI cameras, the WiFi connection dramatically lowers the frame rate. As long as I'm not trying to do planetary imaging, this shouldn't be a problem.

Clear skies,
-Gene
clasley

Post by clasley »

I would like to add my voice to this request. I have been working with a Stellarmate using the INDI server with KStars and Ekos and really miss the SharpCap experience. Thanks.

-Chris
dilipsharan

Post by dilipsharan »

Hi I have been considering using a Raspberry Pie based (EKOS/ Stellarmate) to control my set up and wondered if there was any movement in SharpCap accessing the Raspberry Pie remotely and using INDI drivers?
I note that there maybe some movement using INDI and ASCOM in conjunction. See http://www.cloudmakers.eu/windi/

INDI Server for Windows is a wrapper and INDI server for ASCOM drivers. It was developed as a supporting module for jINDI cross platform observatory control software, but can be used with any other INDI client running on the same or a remote machine (e.g. AstroImager, AstroTelescope, AstroGuider, INDI Control Panel, iINDI, KStars, XEphem PixInsight or CdC).
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Regarding your statement: "INDI Server for Windows is a wrapper and INDI server for ASCOM drivers". You are referring to wINDI from CloudMakers. I tried it last night. It did not work well when using the INDI-client Ekos that is built into KStars. I suspect that wINDI doesn't play well with other INDI clients either. I posted a question at their forum. The response from the lead developer was essentially don't use wINDI, instead run the INDI server on a Linux laptop, Mac, or Raspberry Pi. That of course means that no ASCOM drivers for you.

Brian
dilipsharan

Post by dilipsharan »

Thanks Brain. I though that this might be the case. But it was worth exploring.
dgcreations

Post by dgcreations »

SharpCap is a great program, I use it recently on mac + virtual box and I am fine. Currently for remote control I use a Raspberry Pi with an indi Server and kstars-ekos and ccdciel (livestacking) I can say that the remote sessions for the deepsky work well. If SharpCap supported then it would be just great!