Bad pixel map

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
cuivenion

Bad pixel map

Post by cuivenion »

A lot of camera's now are cooled and have very low dark current and darks would only introduce noise. A bad pixel or defect map might be a better option. Saying that I've used the bad pixel map option with my uncooled GPCAM in PHD2 and it worked much better than the darks, so it maybe helpful to uncooled camera's as well, as bad pixel maps aren't temperature dependant.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bad pixel map

Post by admin »

An interesting idea - in 3.1 the dark subtraction already has code to detect hot/warm pixels and fix them by pinching the value from a nearby good pixel - all that would be required is to do just that and not the normal dark subtraction bit. I think the hardest bit would be the UI design for it :)

Of course there are a lot of cameras now that have some variety of amp glow (or at least a dark glow that is similar to amp glow) - for those cameras proper darks are needed.

cheers,

Robin
cuivenion

Re: Bad pixel map

Post by cuivenion »

Hi Robin, That's certainly true about the amp glow. I'm personally not as bothered by amp glow as it tends to be more at the edges or corners, whereas a mismatched dark has an effect that covers the whole image. Other people might disagree though, it all depends what camera you've got. One day I'll have a set point cooled cam.