Unguided dithering

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Unguided dithering

Post by admin »

Hi Minos,

the spiral always starts the same direction and always starts small and grows. From memory it's something like

1 up, 1 left, 2 down, 2 right, 3 up, 3 left, 4 down, 4 right, etc

It will be easier in SharpCap 3.2, since then there will be a way to turn live view on/off, which will be better than pausing live stacking and having to wait for the frame with the move in it to be ignored. I could imagine new scripting commands like

Code: Select all

SharpCap.SelectedCamera.StopLiveAfterFrame() # stops after current frame complete
SharpCap.SelectedCamera.StopLiveViewNow() # cancels current frame and stops straight away
SharpCap.SelectedCamera.StartLiveView() # does what is says...
This is all good stuff, because it's helping me think about how 3.2 will work :)

cheers,

Robin
Ukjay1971

Post by Ukjay1971 »

+1 from me
mAnKiNd

Post by mAnKiNd »

That's great Robin, thanks, can't wait for 3.2!

Also, i think, could be wrong, that an unguided dither will require less settling time than a guided dither. Doesn't the guided dither have to go through more downtime to recenter the star after the nudge? An unguided dither would just nudge and let the tracking continue right..?

Cheers
Minos
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Agreed, but you still don't want the frame with the dither in to be part of your stack, and ideally you'd stop the frames, dither, then restart as that way you will only miss on a few seconds while the dither happens, not have to drop an entire frame (maybe 30s).

cheers,

Robin
mAnKiNd

Post by mAnKiNd »

Totally yes!

:)
sedonapete

Post by sedonapete »

I too await 3.2. I have used dithering through Backyard EOS with my Canon camera. I am now using a ZWO 071 and await this function in Sharpcap. Please give me a +1 too.

Peter