Reduce minimum RA axis rotation for polar alignment to 15 degrees.

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Borodog

Reduce minimum RA axis rotation for polar alignment to 15 degrees.

Post by Borodog »

While I know that 15 degrees is not ideal and the resulting error would probably be comparatively large, it would allow one to polar align an equatorial platform much better than is typically possible. If SharpCap can measure that I've rotated my RA axis by 16.3 degrees (and it can), then surely it can take a swag at polar alignment. But as it stands it won't even try. This seems like a change that would only require changing a single number in the source code. :O)

And thanks for the awesome software!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Reduce minimum RA axis rotation for polar alignment to 15 degrees.

Post by admin »

Hi,

this feature already exists in SharpCap 4.0 (largely to support alignment of equatorial platforms that can only rotate through a relatively small angle).

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#First%20Image%20Stage

See the 'Allow smaller rotation angles' checkbox, which reduces the minimum angle from 30 degrees to 13.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Well now I feel dumb. But thank you very much!
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Just wanted to say that I had a chance to test this tonight and it worked great. Got to 1.5' before I called it good enough because I can't really nudge my platform left/right any finer than that.

Thanks again, Robin!