One Click autofocus

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
WB91

One Click autofocus

Post by WB91 »

Robin, a few months ago I worked with you on getting overshoot method put into SharpCap and this has been a huge improvement to your software. I would like to know if you could add a one click autofocus feature within one of your front panel views, similar to how the routine works in NINA. This would be very helpful for not only basic focusing, but also setting up filter offsets, or tilt adjustments where an autofocus should be redone after each tilt adjustment, or for helping with collimation adjustments too. Let me know what I can do to help you set this up. Note: Once you have a standalone feature like this put in, then it makes things easier for us to add this feature into sequence, again, similar to how NINA does it. I know you have an auto focus routine setup with a sequence but it would be better to have this stand alone but could be used within a sequence, if that makes sense.

Also, let me know if you have a donation link you could add to this thread, we are here to help you buddy!

Regards,

Bill
admin
Site Admin

Re: One Click autofocus

Post by admin »

Hi Bill,

I already have a one-click refocus button planned, which I think is pretty much what you are describing. Basically it would perform a focus scan using the most recent settings, centered around the current focuser location. It's not a big feature - perhaps the biggest thing is working out where to put it in the UI!

No need for donations (although it's kind of you to suggest it). Feel free to keep your friends up to date about the cool new features in SharpCap and persuade them they should buy the Pro license though :)

cheers,

Robin
WB91

Post by WB91 »

Awesome to hear, this is great news!!! Will you have options based on parabolic/hyperbolic plus trend for HFD, FWHM, Contrast and Brightness? I am planning on doing more testing tonight on the brightness focusing method (if you recall from a previous thread where the min brightness was actually peak focus on dim planets). Then for solar or lunar we could use contrast method, etc. Just nice to have options.

What if you added more flexibility to your GUI, where you can drag features to windows where that saves live per your profile? Is that difficult to do?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it will start out very simple... If you can avoid having options and make something that just works then that's best for everyone! Also, minimal UI - probably just a single menu item or button to trigger it. Once that is working then we can see if there is any need for more complexity.

cheers,

Robin
WB91

Post by WB91 »

Awesome, look forward to testing it out!
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

I just want to +1 this highly desirable feature.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

this feature is now in the latest SharpCap 4.0 versions...
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.42 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
In order for this option to become enabled, you must

* have a connected focuser set up
* have previously run a focus scan/goto best score successfully.

The refocus will use the focus scan settings from your last successful scan/goto best position (including using the same focusing tool that you used). The scan will be centered around your current focuser position

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Wonderful. I use the Celestron Focus Motor, and in SharpCap it will only scan in the "Out" direction. Should I run the focus "In" by some amount before running the Autofocus routine?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

no need to run the focus in - SharpCap should take care of that for you, particularly as it sounds like you have already enabled 'overshoot' compensation for focuser backlash, which is what causes the scans to only run one way.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Perfect. I have done exactly that. Thank you!