32 bit imaging in QHY cameras

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
JesusRL

32 bit imaging in QHY cameras

Post by JesusRL »

Hi Robin,

I have started to do 2X2 and 3X3 binning in a QHY268 camera.

The main problem I find is the fact that QHY has decided to do additive binning, so some features in the image are very fastly burnt at 9X.

To solve this QHY has upgraded their SDK to suply 32 bit images (actually 18, 19 and 20 that provide 4X (2X2) 8X (3X3) and 16X (4X4)). Only 3X3 has a possible minimal burning risk.

https://www.qhyccd.com/user-manual-of-3 ... 11-qhy461/

Do you plan to implement it in SharpCap? Otherwise I will prefer to continue in 1X1 and resample later on average mode, but this will be extra harddisk and process load. (please enlight me if I am missing something in this thought)

T&R,
Jesus
admin
Site Admin

Re: 32 bit imaging in QHY cameras

Post by admin »

Hi,

I am aware of the 32 bit option from QHY, but SharpCap supporting it is a long way off. It's not just grabbing the data from the camera in high bit depth, it's all the processing of the data from saving it to file to displaying it that currently only handles 8 and 16 bit. To be honest the amount of work to get even basic capture up and running is rather scary, and I feel that it's an area that will only attract a handful of users.

cheers,

Robin
JesusRL

Post by JesusRL »

I perfectly understand Robin,

Just help on supporting (or not) my thought of simply doing 1X1 and then resampling to wahtewer I want. Wouldn't I get the same?

T&R
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, capturing at 1x1 and then binning/resampling in software after capture will give you exactly the same results. Just make sure that whatever software you use for binning is properly handling high bit depths.

cheers,

Robin