FITS File Header

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
AstromateUK

FITS File Header

Post by AstromateUK »

Is there a way to add the observatory location (Lat/Long) and the observer’s name to the image header file?
I notice that the Lat/Long info is already in the settings. (Polar align) I am asking this as many of my files are passed on to other colleagues for processing, and it would be useful for identification purposes.
Apologies if this has been mentioned or requested before. Many thanks for a brilliant piece of software which is so inclusive of features. I use a Altair290C3 camera on a SW EQ6 mount.
admin
Site Admin

Re: FITS File Header

Post by admin »

Hi,

oddly I just added this functionality and have today released an update that contains it - try SharpCap 4.0.8218 (https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads).

The OBSLAT/OBSLONG headers will come from your ASCOM mount (which must be connected), not the plate solving settings.

The OBSERVER/TELESCOP headers can be set manually in the SharpCap settings (the Saving tab).

hope this helps,

Robin
AstromateUK

Post by AstromateUK »

Many thanks Robin.
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

Can I ask a short change ?

Is it possible to use the OBSERVER/TELESCOP information from the FITS header for the SER film too ?

In the SER file, it is possible to have "Observer", "Instrument" and "Telescope".
So my proposal ... OBSERVER (FITS) = Observer (SER) and TELESCOP (FITS) = Telescope (SER)

Note the limitation of the information in the SER file is ... the maximum length is limited to 40 characters.

Regards,
Jean-Francois

I'm updating my SharpCap script for Sol'Ex film capture.
A Pro-Am collaboration will start soon for common observations of the sun (with Solar Orbiter team).
I'm already using the "Observer", "Instrument" and "Telescope" information, but with special information in the "Telescope".
If you add the SER-FITS header information to "Observer" and "Telescope", then I will change my script to use "Instrument" in place of "Telescope".
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jean Francois,

yes, that should be easy. I will make a note to implement that one.

cheers,

Robin
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

OK, thanks for ...
OBSERVER (FITS) = Observer (SER) and TELESCOP (FITS) = Telescope (SER)

Regards,
Jean-Francois