Plate solving suggestion

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
celkins

Plate solving suggestion

Post by celkins »

Robin,
if a plate solve returns a distance of 0.0, then how about suppressing the re-centre operation?
- I've had several of those, this evening, and it just seems pointless...

Cheers,
Carl
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate solving suggestion

Post by admin »

Hi Carl,

inrwesting one... the offset is shown as X.XX degrees, so if you see 0.00 then it means the offset is down somewhere about 1/200th of a degree or less (18 arc seconds). Is 18 arc seconds always insignificant? For deep sky I think it may well be. Thoughts?

cheers,

Robin
celkins

Re: Plate solving suggestion

Post by celkins »

Sorry, Robin, it was 0.00 degrees.
I would think 18 arc sec is probably too small to worry about, but I’d bet as soon as I say this, someone will pop up and claim that’s a huge offset in their use case…

I’m trying to remember what AstroTortilla UI says - something like “plate solve & re-centre until offset is less than x.xx” (x.xx or x.xxx is the bit I can’t remember, and I’m not near the PC at the moment to check!): maybe this offers an option? How precise is the return value from the plate solver? Is it the same for all of the different ones?

Anyways, just a thought…

Cheers, & thanks - really enjoying SharpCap 4