is it possible to create narrowly applied camera profiles?

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
dmccallie

is it possible to create narrowly applied camera profiles?

Post by dmccallie »

In a typical night of live-stacking for public viewing at our club's observatory, I find that I am constantly changing the exposure, gain, and screen stretch as I bounce back and forth between focusing, plate-solving, and actual image capture for stacking. It's easy to forget one of the settings, and thus mess up something.

Someone suggested using Capture Profiles for rapid switching between camera states, but when I looked at the information in the camera profile text file, I fear that some of the settings would mess things up, if all I want to do is change gain/bin/time/stretch. For example, there are entries for focus motor step setting, and even for RA and Dec, as well as many other settings outside of simple camera parameters.

Is there a way to restrict the effect of what the profile does, as it gets loaded? Would a simple text editor (removing undesired entries?) suffice?

I'm not in a position to just go test this, so I am asking here!

Thanks.

--david
admin
Site Admin

Re: is it possible to create narrowly applied camera profiles?

Post by admin »

Hi David,

The focuser and mount positions in a capture settings file do not get used when loading - they are just for information. The filter wheel value does get used, so the wheel will return to the position specified in the file, but you should be OK using a text editor to remove that line (and any others you do not want/need) from the file.

cheers,

Robin