HDR Stacking

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
HeartOfTexas

HDR Stacking

Post by HeartOfTexas »

A great feature I used in Miloslick was HDR Stacking. The program would automatically set exposure at different levels like 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 60 seconds, etc and then stack these together.

This is great for objects with a bright core like M42 because you can get the edge detail without blowing out the core.

I believe its possible to do this in SharpCap by setting the exposures manually while stacking but an automated feature would be nice.
admin
Site Admin

Re: HDR Stacking

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think that dropping to a lower exposure during stacking will have a small effect in pulling some pixels down from being fully saturated to just being nearly saturated, so might work to a degree. This will only work if you are using the 'Default' stacking algorithm - if you are using the Sigma Clipping stacking added in 3.1 then all the lower values will be rejected by the sigma threshold when you change the exposure and the stack will essentially stop being added to.

Proper HDR would involve taking 2 or more separate stacks (one for each exposure) and then merging them with appropriate HDR algorithms. One for a future version!

cheers,

Robin