Save Recticle or Pixel Readout

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
rac19

Save Recticle or Pixel Readout

Post by rac19 »

I use a secondary camera, on a finder 'scope, to assist in acquiring a target on the main 'scope. The mechanism for aligning the finder with the main 'scope (2 x 3 thumbscrews) is imprecise, to say the least. I find the Pixel Readout useful to mark the target position in the finder frame when main 'scope is centred on the target.

At the moment I write the X, Y coordinates down for future reference. It would be useful is this information could be saved to a named file for recall later. Saving and loading reticle positions would be another option.

By the way, are the X, Y Pixel values based on screen pixels or camera pixels?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Save Recticle or Pixel Readout

Post by admin »

Hi,

the X,y positions are based on camera pixels, not screen pixels, so should stay the same remain on the same feature but change the display zoom level.

I'm not sure how you would trigger adding the information to a file - you wouldn't want it to happen all the time, but what action would the user take to make it happen?

Have you considered using something like the Windows 'snipping tool' to grab an image of the part of the screen with the information on it? - that should work nicely if you just need to save it for a couple of minutes as part of your workflow.

cheers,

Robin
rac19

Post by rac19 »

Thanks Robin,

Ongoing use has convinced me that it is camera pixels, which is important for the scenario that I have described. No matter whether I am using laptop screen or higher resolution desktop screen, if I position the target in the finder under the x,y marker, it appears in FOV of the OTA main camera. It does the job well, thank you.

I would have thought that right click on the x, y readout could have menu items to save or load x, y coordinates. A similar option for a reticle would be just as good, perhaps better, especially in the light of a couple of issues described below.

One problem is that the readout data in not transparent and can obscure the target quite significantly. Another is that it is too easy to unintentionally move the readout, especially when clicking between applications and windows.

Some sort of marker, based on camera pixels, to show how the finder camera and OTA camera were aligned from the previous session would be very useful in AP and EAA. I, for one, would much appreciate it.

Richard
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Richard,

thanks for the suggestions - I will have to think about them.

cheers,

Robin
rac19

Post by rac19 »

Hi Robin,

The Pixel Readout is already very useful, at high f ratios, for making use a finder 'scope/camera to get a target into view in the OTA, better than Spiral Search in fact. It was not deigned for this purpose, of course, so some improvements to support this use (or an alternative) would make a difference.

Richard
rac19

Post by rac19 »

I had a thought on a simple way implement such a feature. In the appropriate configuration sheet, there could be a tick box to Auto-Save Reticle or Pixel ReadOut. This would have to be per camera type but I think gain and exposure are already saved per camera type.