Behaviour on Exposure Change Has Changed

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Stub Mandrel

Behaviour on Exposure Change Has Changed

Post by Stub Mandrel »

In the past the behaviour of Sharpcap (at least with my ZWO cameras) when reducing exposure length was to end the current frame, and start the next frame at the new duration.

Nowadays I find it always completes the current exposure in full.

When trying to change between 2.5 minute exposures and 4.9 second ones to check focus this is inconvenient and big waste of time.

If you are taking 5 or 10 minute exposures this behaviour is utterly infuriating.

Also as my laptop uses a touchpad, I sometimes click past the exposure I want. Before I know it, my 5-minute frame sequence is starting with ten minute one.

The only alternative is to disconnect the camera and reconnect, but of course this means the temperature of the sensor shoots up and you have to wait for it to cool down again.

Please can we return to the old behaviour or at least have an 'end current exposure' or 'drop current frame' option.
Menno555

Re: Behaviour on Exposure Change Has Changed

Post by Menno555 »

Hi

There was a bug that caused that. The new updated version 4.0.7995 on the download page fixed that.
https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads

Menno
Stub Mandrel

Post by Stub Mandrel »

Phew! Thanks.

Before I install it, is there a way I can force Sharpcap to remember my filter wheel details? Whenever I install a new version, it loses them.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

I use the manual wheel feature and here when I do an update, the details of that and names of the filters are there in the updated version.
Maybe Robin knows more about it.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, the exposure bug is fixed - I will push out an auto-update in the next day or so to get that to as many people as possible.

When you say it forgets your filter wheel - what exactly does it forget? Do you have to go back to the hardware settings and change the wheel to your ASCOM driver or is it something different. It shouldn't forget any of those settings on an upgrade (even a major upgrade from 3.2 to 4.0)

cheers,

Robin
Stub Mandrel

Post by Stub Mandrel »

Hi Robin,

Major update (but not minor ones) result in it 'forgetting' the names of the filters, but not the device.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

and just so I know, what filter wheel are you using?

cheers,

Robin
Stub Mandrel

Post by Stub Mandrel »

Hi Robin,

ZWO EFW, 8-position.

Neil
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Neil,

sorry, secondary question - are you using the ZWO ASCOM driver or the built-in SharpCap support? I am guessing the latter as if you were using ASCOM then the filter names would come from ASCOM and would not be affected by the upgrade of SharpCap.

I will check the code to see if the upgrade is forgetting to bring along the list of names from the old version.

cheers,

Robin
Stub Mandrel

Post by Stub Mandrel »

The latter, I think.

Neil