Focuser position

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
jmgoldba

Focuser position

Post by jmgoldba »

Suggesting the focuser position be included when writing the FITS header (e.g. Maxim DL FOCUSPOS) and/or the CameraSettings.txt when capturing video. While I'm on a posting roll here maybe rename to DeviceSettings and include more properties of the focuser and filter wheel since the .ser format is somewhat more limited than FITS.

We monitor the focuser position over the course of the year to see if there's any drift and to establish a baseline should things get out of whack. It'd be nice to have this automatically documented when collecting the image data. Thanks,

-Jesse
admin
Site Admin

Re: Focuser position

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, a good idea - I'm actually surprised that the position doesn't make it into the capturesettings.txt file - I will investigate that as a bug, since really it should.

I think I will leave the capture settings file name as it is - too many people are used to the naming to change it now!

cheers,

Robin
jmgoldba

Post by jmgoldba »

Thanks for getting back. To clarify I was using the latest v3.2 with camera, focuser and filter wheel simulation. I've not used SharpCap for some time in a non-simulated environment but am planning a rare trip to our group's observatory this weekend when I'll install v4. Thanks again, Jesse
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I added writing out the focuser position (and the mount co-ordinates) to the capture settings in v4.0 and also added the FOCUSPOS header to the FITS files - that will be in the next update, which will probably arrive next Monday.

cheers,

Robin