Adjustable settings for return to best position

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Anthony Quintile

Adjustable settings for return to best position

Post by Anthony Quintile »

I haven't seen any mention of this as an option, and I am not sure how I would search this, so I apologize if this has been addressed.

Is it possible to set how far "out", and then concurrently "in", the focuser travels to return to the best position?

This might be useful when trying to overcome focus shift issues with some SCTS, for example.

Thanks for the consideration, or any info if this is already an option somewhere.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Adjustable settings for return to best position

Post by admin »

Hi,

two ways to deal with this...

If you use SharpCap 4.0 beta (https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... s/4-0-beta), you can set up a backlash amount in the hardware settings, which you should be able to use to fix the problem - basically set a value large enough to cover the backlash of your focuser, and SharpCap will apply that offset when changing direction. The effect of this will be that when returning to the best position, the focuser will be moved far enough past the best position to clear the backlash and then approach it correctly from the same direction as the scan ran from.

In SharpCap 3.2 (and still in 4.0 for that matter), right click on the focus graph at the point of best focus - you get various options for how to move to the target position, including how far past to go before returning for the desired position.

cheers,

Robin
Anthony Quintile

Re: Adjustable settings for return to best position

Post by Anthony Quintile »

I think the "right-click" option is probably what I am looking for. I'll try that out next chance I get.

Thank you!