Filter Wheel and Exposure Integration

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
BlueAstra

Filter Wheel and Exposure Integration

Post by BlueAstra »

I've just started using Sharpcap with my new Altair 178M camera. There are a lot of sophisticated features in Sharpcap, and I can see there are more planned in the beta release. However, there is a fundamental processes, especially when using a mono camera, that would be useful if implemented since it is carried out nearly every time the camera is used. What I'm suggesting is the integration of the filter wheel into the sequence/ configure capture selection. I know virtually anything is possible with the scripting language but I, and possibly others, glaze over a bit when I look at some of the examples. Even if I could write one, how do you implement an easy user interface when you want to change parameters?

With lunar and solar imaging its not too bad in that you can select a single filter and then usually (but not always) not need to change it later as you take sequences. However, for planetary images with the mono camera it is almost always a quick sequence of R,G,B filters exposures (or LRGB for long exposure imaging). It would be so much more convenient if you could setup the sequence/image capture selection to carry out a sequence of R,G,B exposures with control of the camera, filter wheel and delay between exposures, with perhaps an ability to store/recall 'recipes' for future use. I'm sure I, and perhaps many others, would be very grateful if such a feature could be implemented and it would be icing on the cake for such a great program.

Graham

(PS Apologies if the feature is already there and I've not found it, I am just starting with the software!)
turfpit

Re: Filter Wheel and Exposure Integration

Post by turfpit »

Graham

Have a look at this post viewtopic.php?f=14&t=191&p=795&hilit=bernard#p795 , it might help.

Dave
BlueAstra

Post by BlueAstra »

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had looked at that post and I'm afraid it was the one where my eyes glazed over a bit! I've done a little bit of programming, but I expect the learning curve would be a little steep at the beginning. Also, how do you get an easy user interface for parameter changes? I have used relatively simple user interfaces for exposure/filter wheel/dither control in MaximDL and TSkyX, and I think even a simple interface based on something like that would be great.

Graham
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Graham

Yes I know what you mean. Perhaps Robin has some ideas for a future version of SharpCap.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Graham,

a sequence scheduling tool is definitely on the radar - I'm hoping to get it into 3.2.

cheers,

Robin