Adding sharpness boost to none live views

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Chris A

Adding sharpness boost to none live views

Post by Chris A »

Hi Robin

I am not too sure if this has been requested as yet but I was wondering if it's possible to add an Unsharp Mask feature to your none live stacking for observing the moon or planets? I really like your enhancement features in the live stacking and sometimes when seeing permits, it would be nice to apply some sharpening to the moon or planets.

Thanks again!

Chris A
admin
Site Admin

Re: Adding sharpness boost to none live views

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

there are two potential problems with this (either of which may well sink the idea sadly)

1) Lunar/Planetary imaging is run at high speed - real time Unsharp mask on high speed video frames may well be too much even for very fast PCs

2) We also tend to use high gain on this sort of imaging - that makes the individual frames noisy and unsharp mask will just enhance the noise. We get away with sharpening after stacking because stacking 1000+ frames reduces the noise down to manageable levels.

cheers,

Robin
Chris A

Re: Adding sharpness boost to none live views

Post by Chris A »

Hi Robin

You brought up some very important points that I did not think about so thank you, sir.

Cheers,

Chris A