Video loop camera

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
aplewe

Video loop camera

Post by aplewe »

Hi! I've been experimenting with astro-videography (for lack of a better term), where I record a 4k video of what I'm observing. At the moment I play it back from my camera through a capture card attached to the computer. I've noticed that if I do multiple passes, resolution and overall image quality improves with each pass. I don't know what the theoretical limit of that is, but it'd be cool if SharpCap allowed me to load a video file directly as a "camera", then loop that video's playback so I could automate what I'm doing now manually.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Video loop camera

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks, out of interest what file format are you using for your recordings? This is something that I've considered doing as much because it would make testing some features much easier to be able to playback a recording rather than waiting for clear skies :)

Cheers, Robin
aplewe

Re: Video loop camera

Post by aplewe »

I prefer .mov files as that's how they come out of my camera, but .mp4 would also be good.

It is nice to "re-run" an observing session and tweak the settings, plus if you dial them in for a particular video shot in a particular way, you can re-use those settings if you're observing live instead of re-playing a video. Here is a 2 min example of the Orion nebula (with Christmas lights...) that I shot on the 23rd. I'm more or less working with stuff like this, although it looks worse than my raw vid due to compression for YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1X2SobRco

As of this posting, the HD and 4k versions haven't finished processing yet, but should be available eventually.

Moonshot: being able to load a YouTube video from a URL...